Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Goings On

Hello again. It's been about two weeks since my last entry and figured it's time to do so again. Not much going on right now..pretty much all baseball. Jamie's first practice game is this Saturday, and then it will continue all the way through June, with a weeknight baseball game on occasion.

So, tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. I will be participating in Lent for the first time in years, but it feels good and right. I am contemplating on what to give up--I want to make sure it's a sacrifice and something that will help me remember what Lent represents. Anyhow, enough religion.

Cool thing that happened--on Feb. 11, Jim got to visit. He was in Modesto for work and had a free day to come and see us. He got to spend time with all of us, and Jamie had a good time.

























Jamie is doing great at school. He is now in his own reading group. He informed the teacher he was bored and so he now reads the 1-3 grade book on his own (silently) while the other kids do out loud reading groups. Then he does his schoolwork and when the other kids are done, he reads what he's read to himself out loud to the teacher. He's much happier doing reading groups at school now since it's more of a challenge to him. He's also taken to reading to himself at home and I think it's great. He'll just bring his banana chair downstairs, grab a book, and start reading. He's also very excited to start chapter books. He thinks it will be cool to imagine yourself in different worlds and places.














Also, we celebrated Valentine's Day. I had gotten a few balloons for fun and attached them to a chair at the table and Jamie decided that was the Valentine's chair. So when we each opened our cards and gifts, we had to sit at the Valentine's chair. It was pretty fun. We all got some candy (of course!)--me, chocolate covered gummy bears; James, italian candies & gummy frogs; Jamie, a heart box with chocolates. Jamie also got a US puzzle and a Spiderman addition & subtraction book. Jamie made James & I each a card. James's had a grenade launcher. Jamie also made James a book about U.S. Army men fighting aliens. It was really sweet. James took it work along with his card. I got James a book (a new author to try) and he got me a beautiful silver cross. It was the sweetest thing because I had mentioned it awhile ago, and he remembered. It was a wonderful, unexpected gift. I love it.


















































Now, here's a couple of pictures that I thought were funny. They are, of course, pictures of Jamie. Jamie smiling like a crazy man and Jamie, as batman (in an undershirt, TMNT undies, and awesome blue socks)

3 comments:

bosniaherzegovina said...

I'm glad Jamie had a good time with Jim... that's SO great that he is being challenged at school, too. I'm proud of him for talking to the teacher on his own!

That's great that Valentine's Day was fun for you guys - I can't wait to see the cross! The picture of James reading his book and Jamie laughing is ADORABLE.

I'm SO GLAD that you put the mad man Jamie picture up, it's absolutely hilarious. And, of course, he looks so pasty and scrawny as batman. But adorable nonetheless!

I've added your blog as an RSS feed to my email, so whenever you post a new entry, I get it in my inbox. It's a pretty nifty advancement in the world of stalking.

bosniaherzegovina said...

I'm glad Jamie had a good time with Jim... that's SO great that he is being challenged at school, too. I'm proud of him for talking to the teacher on his own!

That's great that Valentine's Day was fun for you guys - I can't wait to see the cross! The picture of James reading his book and Jamie laughing is ADORABLE.

I'm SO GLAD that you put the mad man Jamie picture up, it's absolutely hilarious. And, of course, he looks so pasty and scrawny as batman. But adorable nonetheless!

I've added your blog as an RSS feed to my email, so whenever you post a new entry, I get it in my inbox. It's a pretty nifty advancement in the world of stalking.

Bekah said...

I had fun reading that! I'm glad that my dad could come visit. How fun!

It sounds like Jamie is going to be an avid reader! Of course, with his parents I'm not surprised. For me, my kids have a 50-50 chance. Jimmy is not a big reader, and I am. I'll have to find some fun books to send him for his B-day.

Jamie is just so cute and I love getting to see pictures of him every few weeks.

So what did you end up giving up for lent? I thought about doing that and then it came and went so quickly. I should just start now. Even though it isn't "my" religion, I think it's a good practice and like the whole idea of it.